6 votes, rating 6
The draft is nearing the end of the first round, and some of the excitement is dying down as the biggest stars have gone to their respective new teams. Erengrad Vikings are preparing to make their second pick in the first round, having sold star blitzer Juqua Parker to get a second one. In a smaller setting than usual coach Spelledaren met with some of the journalists covering the draft and the coming season.
- Coach, what will your second first rounder be?
- We are still waiting for Kaiowas to make a selection, but it will be someone who can support a mobile team. Agility is premium in our new direction.
- What is this new direction, and why did you need to make changes?
Spelledaren pauses for a moment before launching into a longer reply.
- This season did not end as we had imagined it. Even after our veterans retired there was still a solid chance of making play offs, but it ended with too many draws, and the defeat against Cascade...yeah, that wasn't good. In the end we ended up as number 17 in the league, the first time in the bottom half. After losing so much of our team value, and having the worst record to date it seemed necessary to forge a new path.
- Is this critique against Lipicans leadership on the field?
- No, not at all. Stipe has been solid and delivered. Most of the team has done their job, shown by us still having more victories than defeats in the season. But after being the highest scoring team last season, with one single loss before play offs, and now barely nudging above one touchdown per game... it's obvious our offense has suffered. After Stephen Hill no one has been able to make the same magic happen.
- There have been some loud complaints from fans about the deals involving Mario Jr and Juqua Parker, some are saying that you are giving away any chance to stand against Grizzlies next season. What are your comments on this?
- I think they should be worried about Cascade and Wolfskins too! But no... moving in a new direction I need a different type of player. Mario has had a good season, but isn't always as reliable as needed. Selling him brings a future first, giving us two first round picks in the next draft as well. Combined with our growing potential in blitzers, Vikings should look strong for season 8.
- Does this mean that you've given up on season 7? That will not sit well with the fans!
- No, of course not. The goal is to win more than we lose at least, and if that puts us anywhere in the running, we will go for it. But the teams we face this season are strong, both in SHC and KFC, and our team feels like it needs time to find a new footing. We will not bend down to any team, so expect a full fight every day!
A man in the back raises his voice.
- Word has just come in that Kaiowas has picked the remaining agile thrower, was that what you wanted?
-Oh? Ah, no, that is a fine player, but not with a skill set that fits Vikings right now. Now excuse me, I have to get to the draft office.
Spelledaren leaves and the journalists follow, a new season is coming....