13 coaches online • Server time: 05:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2016 Ranked, Leagu...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Elfball... where are...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2012 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your thoughts mouse and shadow. Also great stuff from freak and Tarabaralla.
Mouse has a good point about the human interaction required (or not) being a key ingredient in the "relationship" that exists in the following match. I am always surprised by the number of different European (and Russian) coaches I encounter in FUMBBL. French, German, Danish.. on and on. One thing I also often see are coaches whose English just isn't that great. More so in box. It just makes total sense to me that if my english isn't good, that I gravitate towards the division where I don't really have to use it. No irc required, no PM messages, just a click and go. I have nothing but respect for those who can speak and read a second language so I truly intend no offense. But I feel that BlackBox is more "International" than Ranked (from the opponents I've faced) and by that meaning... mmm.. generally less English "speaking." Or the caliber of english just isn't as great. So, when people get diced, a large portion can't help by moan about it a bit. Myself included at times. (I'm cutting that out) Comments are misunderstood on the internet at the best of times, so I bet a lot of the grumbling you see in a box match going poorly probably sounds worse that is actually intended by the opponent. Sometimes not. There are coaches who go out of their way to offend. Box has those too, Ranked, not so much.
In summary, I think it would be fair to say that box would be the most logical choice as a starting point and haven for an international player whose chatting skills just weren't that great. They will be smart cookies who can read another language, understand the rules, and navigate the site OK. But if typing fluff on a bio page for others to appreciate isn't their strong suit, winning in an efficient manner and maxing their CR and win/loss ratio will be the most obvious initial goals for them. Box would be perfect, and that person might have no real malicious intent. That's part of what I think goes down.
And a player like this can hit the ground running easily without knowing the FUMBBL rules as well. It probably explains alot of the no shows. I'd had guys PM me before saying we'd been paired in box and that he could play in about "tree heures." Kinda funny.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2012 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Synn wrote:
PainState wrote:
There were some nice consipiracty theory on how a team could "luck" out to such a level as to get 4 of them.

No.... it was the fact that team was being fed by other Danish coaches. You would see matches where a coach with 3 DPs and a fouling average > 3 per game was magically not fouling.

__Synn

Maybe, But I dont think we ever hashed out the German connection. I think it was deeper than the match reports would lead us to believe.

Nazis on the MOON!
PainState

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2012 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
PainState wrote:
Synn wrote:
PainState wrote:
There were some nice consipiracty theory on how a team could "luck" out to such a level as to get 4 of them.

No.... it was the fact that team was being fed by other Danish coaches. You would see matches where a coach with 3 DPs and a fouling average > 3 per game was magically not fouling.

__Synn

Maybe, But I dont think we ever hashed out the German connection. I think it was deeper than the match reports would lead us to believe.

Nazis on the MOON!

Are you refering to the recently unclassified documents about Eagles Nest II? mmmmm.....

And Yes Murker I do agree with you that members of the FUMBBL community who do not speak or write english as their first language would probally gravitate to a open Div that those skills are not neccesary to having fun playing Blood Bowl. There is no offense meant when there is no communication. Although I do find it amusing when I play against a German who cannot write english and he comments in German in chat. I have all kinds of fun with that. We usually end up with a page or two of dialogue that no one knows what we are saying. Now that is fun FUMBBL style.

I have accepted Pfft and Bah as universal slang words on FUMBBL that means...Whatever or I just got diced hard. They mean no offense but rather are a quick way of saying I hate NUFFLE in a universal language that we all speak.

Thus a lot of Leagues that are devoted to the non english speaking/writing players having their own leagues. I have wandered into them from time to time and left scratching my head. I was in the spanish speaking league a few months ago and was told to go get roseta stone and come back in a few months. I never took the advice.

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2012 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
But I feel that BlackBox is more "International" than Ranked (from the opponents I've faced) and by that meaning... mmm.. generally less English "speaking."

Nowadays the site is pretty dead in the evenings for U.S. timezones. The only time I reliably see decent sized box draws are in the afternoon, which are mostly going to be players over in Europe on their evening primetime.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2012 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

oh I don't know; even up to about midnight here (eastern north america time zone), there's still usually 70ish coaches online, with decent draws. The problem comes after that, at around 2-5 am here (which is what, 8 am in europe?) when the numbers drop down to 25 coaches online. We need more people who live in eastern asia to keep my preferred time slot alive!
PainState

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2012 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
We need more people who live in eastern asia to keep my preferred time slot alive!

I dont think it is a population issue but a FUMBBL awarness issue to be honest. Idea

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2012 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm actually in the U.K. now, so FUMBBL is much easier to rock out on. And getting games easily in Ranked has been a pleasant surprise. I'm enjoying it so far.

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
oh I don't know; even up to about midnight here (eastern north america time zone), there's still usually 70ish coaches online, with decent draws. The problem comes after that, at around 2-5 am here (which is what, 8 am in europe?) when the numbers drop down to 25 coaches online. We need more people who live in eastern asia to keep my preferred time slot alive!

What?

70ish coaches in the box during NA nights?

Box is loaded durning Euro nights, but NA nights there's like maybe 10 max.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
I'm actually in the U.K. now, so FUMBBL is much easier to rock out on. And getting games easily in Ranked has been a pleasant surprise. I'm enjoying it so far.

who let you in!?

Smile
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Nelphine wrote:

What?

Um, he said 70 coaches _online_....
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2012 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
Um, he said 70 coaches _online_...

And 2.5 of those are Shadow.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 23:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Box is just like mm on cyanide really. The rules are not designed to be played with exact team ratings against one another. The rules feature more of a balancing act between uneven ratings in lrb5+ than lrb4 and that is intenteded as leagues have many different rated sides. Loads of this madness is due to match made games

In regards the min max part of this thread ( which is why I read it) some races need to balance min max ideals with the long term maximum rating you want to achieve. Norse for example, if you wanted to play at 2k rating could do with a few ag4 players and probably some guard linos. I always consider this now and activly fire players if the 'target'lucky rolls are not appearing. I do this for two reasons. One to avoid spiralling expenses and second as its easier to get 16spps and see than hit 51 and get worried.

Some races I think like amazon Norse and probably men could do with some stats and a few nice chooses at optimum rating. So I ignore the min max whilst building but probably get scared without basic tool box skills like tackle if I rolled 4stats from my first 5 skills say. Some sides like orcs and chaos and dwarf don't need any 'lucky' rolls so can frankly compete at any rating with a maximised team. De and we compete at all ratings but need some lucky chooses to really challenge at 2k

Leader is pretty cool for a side to minimise but that tends to feel more relevant under 1500 rating on cyanide. Later on 30k saving is hardly worth it on a random crap player with leader and block typically. I would advise leader on a choose for most sides but they don't bring as much weight later because with fan factor 6 to 10 you are probably giving away about 30k anyway for nothing so you might as well not protect your leader the higher your rating. Clearly if you staying under 1400 and getting easy games then the optimal rating of leader is nice and worth going again for

Stripball for elf is cool at low ratings. Not really a min max issue but without sure hands on an early team this can help the win ratio. I'm assuming the thread is for perpetual low rated games/and or high rated. So either get Stripball if you staying low or probably don't bother if you want to play around 2k always. More guard is well worth it for elf. I totally got lucky with 6 from 7 large elf teams I have, but don't miss Stripball

Never buy excess rerolls either

Last edited by juck101 on %b %28, %2012 - %12:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

box is much better than mm

at least you can get concessions when people just quit and dc....

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
licker wrote:
Nelphine wrote:

What?

Um, he said 70 coaches _online_....

I know what he said. It was the 'decent draws' part which befuddled me. To have a decent draw I'd guess you need more than 6 or 7 coaches activating for box, which is what you get.

70 coaches online means absolutely nothing when about zero of them are activating a box team.

But to be fair, you're still an utter ponce Very Happy
juck101

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2012 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

yes cyanide has the same dc free win as the box which is fine. Its pants when people duck out but that is better than ranked when they might just claim to be making a cup of tea (as I remember moons ago)

Cyanide also identical in having less players out of peak time, but mm is great playing multi-nationals as I would of never really chated to an hungarian as I would not be able to communicate with them. Actually a key feature of mm and box that is good which is probably overlooked. Pow and skulls are a unviersal language
 Jump to: