25 coaches online • Server time: 07:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2015 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Primarch wrote:
Nextflux wrote:
pythrr wrote:
Nextflux wrote:
but I dislike predactibility aswell

you must hate this thread then....

Hate wasn't a word I used, but yeah, thease threads are stupid too, and I could go into lenghty explinations about what I think, and everyone can do the same, but will there be any change? no.. its just talk and accustations about what some guy wants some other guy to behave, so its preatty pointless really.

Another fellow with reading comprehension issues? Never said I wanted anyone else to behave, I just asked how other folks deal with player loss. I'd like for it not to matter to me as well so I can enjoy the game even more. Nothing about fixing anyone else. Your reply however, is the definition of pointless.

and here we go..
I never said that you said someone else needed to behave, where did I actually metion you in this?
you have to be the fella with comprehesion issues, as you can see I have been defending you all through the thread.

ofcourse its pointless, though not exactly the definition of pointless, this responce is pointless too, now im just making conversation or chit-chat
Primarch

Post   Posted: Nov 22, 2015 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Nextflux wrote:
Primarch wrote:
Nextflux wrote:
pythrr wrote:
Nextflux wrote:

Hate wasn't a word I used, but yeah, thease threads are stupid too, and I could go into lenghty explinations about what I think, and everyone can do the same, but will there be any change? no.. its just talk and accustations about what some guy wants some other guy to behave, so its preatty pointless really.

Another fellow with reading comprehension issues? Never said I wanted anyone else to behave, I just asked how other folks deal with player loss. I'd like for it not to matter to me as well so I can enjoy the game even more. Nothing about fixing anyone else. Your reply however, is the definition of pointless.

and here we go..
I never said that you said someone else needed to behave, where did I actually metion you in this?
you have to be the fella with comprehesion issues, as you can see I have been defending you all through the thread.

ofcourse its pointless, though not exactly the definition of pointless, this responce is pointless too, now im just making conversation or chit-chat

I am man enough to admit fault. I apologize, I only read your latest reply, which seems out of sync with your other replies in the thread.

Either way, my bad, I'm always a bit defensive on critical replies when I'm the OP.

Thanks for your input.
CW

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2015 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Primarch wrote:
Nextflux wrote:
pythrr wrote:
Nextflux wrote:

I don't think he has reading comprehension issues. He is making a generalization of how these threads generally go. You make it pretty clear that you don't care for folks who foul when it does not seem to be the best strategic play. This poster equated that to you asking someone to "behave" in a certain manner. Not really a stretch in my opinion.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2015 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Valar Morghulis.

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2015 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Valar dohaeris!
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2015 - 02:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Valar-ie Singleton!

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2015 - 02:47 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Valar-ie Singleton!

#winning

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2015 - 02:49 Reply with quote Back to top

CW wrote:
Primarch wrote:
Nextflux wrote:
pythrr wrote:
Nextflux wrote:

I don't think he has reading comprehension issues. He is making a generalization of how these threads generally go. You make it pretty clear that you don't care for folks who foul when it does not seem to be the best strategic play. This poster equated that to you asking someone to "behave" in a certain manner. Not really a stretch in my opinion.

Meh, I didn't ask for folks to change their ways, I asked how everyone else dealt with player loss. I made no demands, I didn't even ask what was wrong with those folks, my post centered around helping me get over it.

In that his response wasn't directed at me, you are right, but my point was not what you think it was...shrug.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2015 - 03:55 Reply with quote Back to top

How to get over it? Remember 3 things. It's part of the game, dead players tell a story, and there's a meta-game.

Remember that it's just part of the game. Nothing bad happens if you lose, nothing bad happens if you lose menz. And all the great coaches have lost before, many times. And they've lost many of their best players to fouls, others to Piling On and still more to blocks, thrown rocks, failed GFIs and dodges, surfs, chainsurfs, wizards, what have you. Everybody knows the feeling. Take pride in how far they got and what they did for you while they were on the pitch. Oh, and don't forget to celebrate 'em while you got 'em.

Remember that your players' deaths tell a story. Your players are just stories to be told within the framework of a larger story, your team, which in turn is part of still larger stories (yourself, your league, your division), which in turn are part of the grand tapestry of FUMBBL. By killing your best guys, your opponent is authoring an important part of that story.

Remember that you're playing in an environment larger than that one game, and your opponent has metagame objectives that are his own, and ones that matter across the entire environment. In a league, fouling well into a decided game is just good business. In Box or Ranked, he may be trying to pad his stats, or he might be afraid he could face you again. Maybe he just wants to make you work to retain your glorious superstars. Maybe he thinks culling the herd is good sportsmanship. Maybe he tracks his pitch clears. There's lots of reasons.

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2015 - 07:38 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
In a league, fouling well into a decided game is just good business.

I don't see why. Softening a team too much can't be that good for one's business, if it implies competitors profiting from it first.

The point about the serenity storytelling provides is important, but the argument that there might be reasons to go berserk in B or R (or anywhere else for that matter) is moot at best. Having some reason to do something doesn't imply it's a good reason, or that you need to accept it. There are ways to protect oneself against abuse besides sucking it up.

You can concede the game and never play against that person. As a pillar of this community once said (paraphrasing), nobody's here paid to give an hour of his time to cater the needs of another selfish prick on the Internet.

You can continue to play but refuse to oblige in his twisted fantasies of domination and for instance be quiet for the remaining of the game.

You get back at that coach forever and ever again, every time that you meet his teams. In the long run, tit for tat wins.

You can do all of the above, and surely find something else to get even instead of getting mad and quitting the game you love.

Ad augusta per angusta.
tussock

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2015 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Why do people think fouling is a bad thing?

It's a rule in the game we play. You can foul. I can foul. They can foul. We can foul. There are risks and benefits that tend to be in the favour of gang fouling by cheap players against mission-critical positional types (and all CPOMBers forever), and also in favour of spam-fouling late in the game when the real costs are much lower. There's even skills you can take to make it work better, which lets you know who's going to foul. It also makes coaches reconsider their otherwise sound stalling tactics.

It seems like if people were upset because someone used the rules for passing and made a pass. Or the rules for blocks and made blocks. Or the rules for movement put their player with the ball out of reach of your whole team. Or they fouled your really awesome AG 6 strip-ball gutter runner on t16 for no reason other than he happened to be lying on the ground in the middle of all their players, after scoring 5 TDs that match and failing a risky move trying for a 6th.

If you want to talk about the common decency of players and their treatment of each other, how dare anyone fail to gang foul that sort of rat!

---

It's not "going berserk". There's rules for passing, handoffs, movement, blocking, scoring, secret weapons, and fouls, and there are skills for enhancing all of that which various teams will choose in order to make better use of their basic player options.

Goblin coaches that take a chainsaw aren't actually cheating out here in the real world. Khemri coaches that foul continuously aren't actually being unsporting. The apothecary roll that fails to revive your dead legend, that's not actually medical malpractice.

Our rules are here.
https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=help&op=rules

We have to not ever play artificially nice in competitive divisions, such as Ranked, Blackbox, and any League which requires the same. You want to play team-building games where everyone hurts each other as little as possible, start a League, ban fouling completely. Enjoy.

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2015 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with the last post.

to define the actual red line on fouling is hard enough, and we all have different "red lines".
for example, I tend to overlook all goblin fouling, otherwise they woulnd't have a chance.
and playing agsint goblin is usually a win anyways, so though I usually get some cas against me, I most often get the win, so its a good trade off, might say the same when playing some other teams aswell.

altough Im personally against what I call unnessesary violence, I also accept it as a part of the game. My advice is to just try to avoid thouse players whom you think is too violent.
You can write them down, and if the list is too long, then you are the problem, if its short, they are the problem.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2015 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Why do people feel conceding is a bad thing?

It's a rule in the game we concede. You can concede. I can concede. They can concede. We can concede.

"It's a rule" doesn't address the problem at all, and "playing artificially nice" caricatures what Primarch is trying to deal with here.

You want to use dirty tricks in your arguments? Fine. Go discuss politics or atheism.
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2015 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the concession thing is because we all get shitty dice sometimes, and a lot of concessions over the last few months seem a little soft. Sometimes the dice love you, sometimes they love your opponent. Take your teams batterings with as much grace as you do your successes. When it goes your way your team gets a chance to earn loads of SPP in a game, when it goes against you your opponent does. What goes around.

<Carlo_Pellegatti> by my point of view
<Carlo_Pellegatti> losing with class > winning with skill Very Happy

I Haven't conceded in years, but I don't object to others doing it as long as it falls within site rules. Losing 1-0 at half time with a few BH in your box is not good grounds in my opinion, yet I've seen numerous examples of people conceding for softer reasons.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
licker

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2015 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:
JackassRampant wrote:
In a league, fouling well into a decided game is just good business.

I don't see why. Softening a team too much can't be that good for one's business, if it implies competitors profiting from it first.

Ahh, but that's not the only calculus involved in the decision process.

Might be you're fouling his legends, or most developed players so that you don't see them again in the 2nd half or the next season, or the playoffs, or the cup, or the ....

Might be that he's still ahead of you in the standings so wrecking the team should give you a leg up in the standings.

Might be that the league rewards fouling!!!!

Might be that you have declared a blood feud with that team.

Might be any other number of fluffy reasons.

But...

Largely in a league where you have persistent divisions or levels, or whatever, then it's not always about just the next game, or just that season.

Generally, you WANT to ruin the other guys teams so that he cannot compete with your team in the future. It's more rare where you want his team to be competitive through the rest of the season frankly.
 Jump to: