23 coaches online • Server time: 03:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KenThis

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

i like harvestmouse's suggestion.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
I've U turned on the subject and a relevant subject.

It's a shocker! People on the internet actually changing their minds? Shocked

I've changed mine too. I would also now agree with merging R & B.

But what I would like is some way to make it easier to play house ruled 'open' games in [L]eague. Having to create a tournament is bit of a pain.

Open RRs have a few draw backs e.g.

Max 26 teams
An admin must accept the teams
Teams are locked out of other events.

Applying house rules to a group has the problem that teams could be in multiple groups.

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I am not going to bother going over my views on the subject, but it would be nice to know if either; Something WILL happen, Something WILL NOT happen, or if it is still undecided.

The risk of a wrong decision is preferable to the terror of indecision (Maimonides)
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Not so much as a "fix," but rather as a suggestion to enjoy the game more, make more theme teams.

The zombie community team really got me interested, and I've since made two "zombie teams" in the box.

Obviously as this is voluntary, no work needs to be done by any admin.

I believe that most coaches will enjoy the box (or whatever division you play) with a creative spin on a team.

My Zombie Teams
http://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=763040

http://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=766222
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Well how about a direct question in the forum then. Let's just ask..

Christer, are you still considering implementing some test rules in the Black Box division?

If still undecided.. which Pro and Con arguments concern you the most?

Can't hurt to ask.. right?

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Are you really all that worried by this 'uncertainty'? Am I the only one who thinks that until we hear otherwise, we should just assume nothing is changing?

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you are correct xnoelx.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

BillBrasky wrote:
Not so much as a "fix," but rather as a suggestion to enjoy the game more, make more theme teams.

The zombie community team really got me interested, and I've since made two "zombie teams" in the box.

Obviously as this is voluntary, no work needs to be done by any admin.

I believe that most coaches will enjoy the box (or whatever division you play) with a creative spin on a team.

My Zombie Teams
http://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=763040

http://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=766222

All my Box teams are theme teams.

I am just not seeing the advantage of keeping R & B separate.

If matchmaker games are flagged then it would be easy enough to pull 'pure' matchmaker teams.

You could give 'pure' teams the option to only play vs other 'pure' teams. But I think that after a while they would struggle to get any non CPOMB games.

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that's a separate debate Koadah. I think most coaches would prefer a single competitive division. But I also think you alienate half of the community by selecting one division over the other.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I really don't think combining them would help the box. I mean, I'd *love* combined tourneys - the Chaos XFL for example...."watch all these chaos teams de-clawed so that elves will play them hug each other!".

If you do combine the divisions though, what do you do about the majors? The scheduler will logically be a place of "well, got no MNG's, so I guess I'll activate TunedTeam". I think what keeps quite a few people in it is that for every time you draw a highly tuned kill all menz team, you also draw one of their previous victims with a million MNGs.

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

BillBrasky wrote:
I think that's a separate debate Koadah. I think most coaches would prefer a single competitive division. But I also think you alienate half of the community by selecting one division over the other.

I don't think it is half.

Well, unless you count those people who hate the Box and hate the idea of Box teams coming to Ranked. Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Well, unless you count those people who hate the Box and hate the idea of Box teams coming to Ranked. Wink

Well B teams have to adjust if they want to find games in the gamefinder anyway...
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Right......

I've U turned on the subject and a relevant subject. Don't make the PO changes, but combine ranked and box into 1 division and allow coaches to play how they like with their team. E.g. they have the choice to activate or search for a game.

This.

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Used the ranked majors as 'the majors' and the box ones as a tier down, or look into making a second competitive division with a new concept. Both changes would add zest to the environment.

WHAT?

Box is by far the better division! Ranked is a pickers paradise and all teams there are just got where they are because the coach has picked what teams he plays against.

Look at half big named teams in ranked and i very much doubt they would be where they are if they was in B.

So if anything have B as the majors and R some pancy competition

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein,

I don’t think there is anyone who would not welcome an end to the unknown. I’ve said as much myself before. I am, afterall, not playing in the division whilst there remains a risk it would represent a waste of time investing in a team (the new scheduler might fix my previous issues with the division, but I don’t know).

The thread was locked because it was in the wrong place, it could give a newcomer or a casual observer an incorrect impression (even this, very clear, thread has done that several times before now) and, as you outline, it was fast becoming a points scoring exercise.

So, this discussion in the correct place, carry on, if you must (although has not everything that can be said been said?). I’ve no doubt a sensible conclusion will be drawn as and when the boss sees fit. I can’t see the site mortgaging credibility long term on injecting a few games into a division via novelty short term, but the very thread existing in the first place surprised me enough to not bet my house on it.

As for losing a division: Ranked always wins in the end, doesn’t it? I mean, Faction, Unranked, Box the first time, LRB4, they all die off eventually as R rolls them over. Blackbox has had a really good run on the back of several leg-ups (it being the first division to cross over to CRP, an attractive (on paper) USP, and a few very dedicated coaches thrashing games out at an amazing rate). I don’t think we should be bemoaning the games reducing, rather be impressed with how well it’s done. But the likelihood is it will always play second fiddle. In these days of fewer games and with Cyanide’s next popular failure on the horizon, I am of the opinion that we’d probably be more resilient with one main division. But we’re so far down the Box road now, I find it hard to see a way of condensing the two into one without putting some noses seriously out of joint. That’s a much trickier road than fixing perceived problems with an updated version of TS or a scheduler tweak or two. We see every time this thread is bumped people are pretty emotive.
 Jump to: