45 coaches online • Server time: 23:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Calorie_Mate

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

What's the point of listing the amount of people who listed you, but not listing the names?

I login and see that x people listed me, and then I gotta look up all the profiles of people I know or played against, to find out who it actually is. What's up with that? No matter from which angle you look at it, it doesnt make sense.

If its supposed to be a privacy thing, then it fails on every conceivable level, because who's privacy is protected here? Certainly not the one's who didn't even get the chance to deny such a request.

Since I obviously don't believe that its a privacy issue(which would be beyond stupid for aforementioned reasons), I can only think that the current system was simpler to implement and thus was the go-to decision, more in terms of "following" than an actual friend system. But even then it doesn't make sense. I mean, maybe the guy who's following me is a player I've been looking for? No way to find out...

Its just infuriating that someone lists you for whatever reasons, and you can't see who it is, and be like "oh yeah that guy, I know why he's following me! I'll add him too to see what he's up to."

So here's an idea: implement a friend/buddy/follower/'whatever you wanna call it' system that actually makes sense. Like, make the number of people who listed you a link to a page that lists said people.

Inb4 "this isnt facebook" Well, if you don't want people commenting on features, then don't implement something halfassed. :^)
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 19:45
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Comments about site features are always welcome, however your tone isn't. You're right, this isn't Facebook. Facebook has dozens of developers and makes millions of dollars. Fumbbl is developed by one man, and run at a loss. This may explain why some features aren't up to your expectations Smile

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

while I agree with your opinion, I disagree with your tone.
It would be a nice feature, but frankly, it neither adds, nor takes anything away from fumbbl.
If you're really adamant about having a feature you want, then put your money where your mouth is and donate, so Christer doesn't have to fund fumbbl all by himself.
Endzone

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Calorie_Mate and welcome to the Fummbl! I don't know whether you know but this is a free site run by a few people who are very generous with their time and money. Suggested improvements are usually very welcome but it is nice to ask politely! I think your suggestion for improving the 'Friends' facility is quite a good idea but you may find you get a few curt responses from one or two of the old-timers here given the way you asked!!

*edit: I wrote this before seeing the above replies.
Calorie_Mate

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing wrong with the tone, unless you misinterpret it :^) It's just bafflement about something so simple not being up to a certain and widespread standard is all, it wasn't a complaint. English isnt my first language either, so I'm sorry for your misinterpretations.

So its a time/money issue? I can definitely see that this is making expanding the site difficult, by distributing the limited workforce in their spare time. However, I'm sure there would be lots, or at least some knowledgeable people willing to help out in their own spare time if such a call would be made by the site admins.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I just friended you!
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

i friedned you too.

you haz nice cats!

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Calorie_Mate wrote:
Nothing wrong with the tone, unless you misinterpret it :^) It's just bafflement about something so simple not being up to a certain and widespread standard is all, it wasn't a complaint. English isnt my first language either, so I'm sorry for your misinterpretations.

So its a time/money issue? I can definitely see that this is making expanding the site difficult, by distributing the limited workforce in their spare time. However, I'm sure there would be lots, or at least some knowledgeable people willing to help out in their own spare time if such a call would be made by the site admins.

dude, stop digging.

your tone is well off (whether you intended that or not is completely irrelevant), and you are just making it worse. calling feature "half-assed" etc is winning you no friends; you are just coming off as an entitled asshat.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The buddy list isn't really a "buddy" list. In fact, you've probably noticed you can separate it into several sections. I personally (have) use(d) it to add:

(a)coaches I am in leagues with
(b)coaches I have good relations with (in-game, on-site, off-site)
(c)coaches active or involved with various metagroups in which i have an interest
(d)coaches I think are good and I would like to spec their games if they're in-game and I am free, whether I've played against said coach or not
(e) coaches who were particularly nice to me when I first joined
(f) coaches/staff who I may need to get in contact with for a tournament

Not all of those coaches might feel it necessary to add me as a friend, nor might they care who's added them. You've probably noticed that not all of the above scenarios involve me being in good terms with the person I've added - I don't think I'm on bad terms with anyone on the site (least of all I hope not), but the fact of the matter is a single game against an opponent or having to schedule the same game does not really "friends" make.

I'd also add that there are some users (and former users) on this site who are listed by many, many people who definitely are not listing them because they are, in fact, absolutely delighted by the prospect of running into their team in, for example a box draw. I know there's a few coaches who list people under an "enemies" group in box.

The friends list is used almost as an amalgamation of a "blacklist" and a "whitelist" depending on the user across the populace. Available input and cost aside, there's plenty of on-site reasons why it might be prudent for people to be unaware who's listed them.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:

I'd also add that there are some users (and former users) on this site who are listed by many, many people who definitely are not listing them because they are, in fact, absolutely delighted by the prospect of running into their team in, for example a box draw. I know there's a few coaches who list people under an "enemies" group in box.

I have a (small) section called "People I would not piss on if they were on fire."

Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

I have a (small) section called "People I would not piss on if they were on fire."

Smile

Am I on that list P? Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Real friends don't need to know if they are on some list or not.

It's actual function is really more a list of intresting people or people you organise things with rather than a pure friends list. So you can see when said people are online or IG. It does this job just fine without the need to show who friended you and bring on the whole "why ain't you frended me bro?" Nonsense.

I find it kind of refreshing myself the info is not there for all to see.

DLE College 7s
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:
pythrr wrote:

Smile

Am I on that list P? Smile

haha. nope, it's a VERY short list.

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Pythrr really has a "would pile-awn your mom" list.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2016 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

BillBrasky wrote:
Pythrr really has a "would pile-awn your mom" list.

don't we all, Bill? don't we all.

Jump to: