23 coaches online • Server time: 01:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you think that timeout:
Should be always called without any warning
13%
 13%  [ 24 ]
Should be always called but never the first time (1 warning max)
17%
 17%  [ 31 ]
Should be called only if happen too often in a game
40%
 40%  [ 72 ]
Should be never called
11%
 11%  [ 20 ]
Each coach should agree before the match how to manage the timeout csll
8%
 8%  [ 15 ]
Pie!!!!
10%
 10%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 180

Verminardo

Post   Posted: May 30, 2023 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

C0ddlefish wrote:
It seems to me playing every turn for exactly 3 mins and 59 seconds is the best way. How depressing would that be!

Wonder if that's ever been tried by anyone? Twisted Evil
Verminardo

Post   Posted: May 30, 2023 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, what the heck, it's completely pointless to be the nth person to share their personal time out ethics on page 20 but I've got a boring thing to do and I procrastinate, ok? So.

The argument that there is no real 4 minute rule in table top illustrates nicely the core issue: Whether Fumbbl is a board game played remotely, or an actual online game. In an actual online game, taking more than an hour to finish a single match is definitely problematic, and enforced turn time limits are the absolute standard. So if you come to Fumbbl with that kind of expectation, even the fact that you have to click timeout to make it happen seems off-putting (still I think it's right that it exists).

I'm with the ones who find it slightly hypocrite to expect a warning as basic courtesy, while pretending there was no significant psychological threshold to that. Of course there is and in truth we all know it.

However, complaining about someone stealing your time by going over the turn time limit is a hundred times more hypocrite. At least if you're advocating that one should time out the first time, every time. You are talking about a few seconds, in a game that takes anywhere between 30 and 90+ minutes.

Let's say you have a player who takes almost 4 minutes every turn because they are watching netflix while playing, and when there's a side step or apoth dialogue it takes 30 secs before they even notice it's there. Who never start moving a single piece before 2 minutes have passed, and longer before they start setting up for kick-off.

Now compare that to a player who reacts promptly, plays 2 minute turns and then in one particularly difficult turn takes 4:10. It should be obvious who is stealing your time and who isn't. Of course the tricky turns are also usually the decisive ones so the time-out usually wins the game. Which you are technically entitled to, no argument there, but at least admit that's the reason you are doing it.

Personally I don't time out, I try not to waste anyone's time, and I appreciate if my opponents return both courtesies. But I accept that I'm not entitled to it.
Mingoose

Post   Posted: May 30, 2023 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Unpopular opinion: the Timeout button should be made even more effective. If I am not mistaken the current TO button still requires the opponent to end their turn, which does absolutely no good when the player has gone permanently AFK without disconnecting. I want the ability to play out the game unopposed. This also requires an option to choose for the opponent after a certain amount of time when picking a SS space for instance.

As for warning, I think the analysis should be on why you would NOT warn, as opposed to why you would. There is only one reason why you would intentionally not warn someone, and that is to gain an advantage over them. You cannot claim that you care about your time if you don't warn, because by warning someone it will make them play faster 100% of the time. There is a 0% chance of a game taking less time because you refused to warn. The reality is that those that refuse to warn WANT their opponent to go over on time to gain the advantage the TO provides. Those that refuse to warn WANT the game to take as long as possible because at some point they may get an advantage.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: May 30, 2023 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Mingoose wrote:
If I am not mistaken the current TO button still requires the opponent to end their turn

You are. Mistaken, that is.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: May 30, 2023 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Mingoose wrote:
by warning someone it will make them play faster 100% of the time. There is a 0% chance of a game taking less time because you refused to warn.

Oh boy. Someone has never dropped a "play fast" lol

Post   Posted: May 30, 2023 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
Mingoose wrote:
If I am not mistaken the current TO button still requires the opponent to end their turn

You are. Mistaken, that is.

Good then. For some reason I was under the impression that if a player is AFK at the start of their turn and never takes an action your TO doesn't automatically end their turn.

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Mingoose wrote:
by warning someone it will make them play faster 100% of the time. There is a 0% chance of a game taking less time because you refused to warn.

Oh boy. Someone has never dropped a "play fast" lol

well if you are going to be an arse and just type "play fast" of course they will mess with you. If you politely say "hey FYI I play with the TO button, feel free to use it on me as well" I can't imagine anyone would intentionally play slower.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 30, 2023 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Mingoose wrote:

Good then. For some reason I was under the impression that if a player is AFK at the start of their turn and never takes an action your TO doesn't automatically end their turn.

In that scenario you should be careful. In case of real AFK opponent due to real life emergency enforcing the time out would break site rules.
Mingoose

Post   Posted: May 30, 2023 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Mingoose wrote:

In that scenario you should be careful. In case of real AFK opponent due to real life emergency enforcing the time out would break site rules.

Even if they didn't say anything and just didn't play? Or just if they notify you of the AFK emergency?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 30, 2023 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes. Feel free to ask an admin. The reason is they could have gone suddenly AFK due to their kid bleeding or another serious emergency and left the PC without writing anything. I explain better: if no player is moved/selected you should assume that the opponent is AFK. You should first try to understand what is happening. For example, you could write something in chat: "Are you ok? I remind you that delaying the game is against site rule". If they don't reply nor they move any player they could be AFK. In case of real AFK the enforced time out would be against site rules. One thing is playing slowly (selecting a player, waiting for a while, then selecting another one and taking lot of time, thus delaying the game), another thing is NOT selecting/moving any player at all. That could mean real AFK opponent.

If they write something in chat like "AFK" or "BRB" you can't time them out either.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 30, 2023 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Yes. Feel free to ask an admin. The reason is they could have gone suddenly AFK due to their kid bleeding or another serious emergency and left the PC without writing anything. I explain better: if no player is moved/selected you should assume that the opponent is AFK. You should first try to understand what is happening. For example, you could write something in chat: "Are you ok? I remind you that delaying the game is against site rule". If they don't reply nor they move any player they could be AFK. In case of real AFK the enforced time out would be against site rules. One thing is playing slowly (selecting a player, waiting for a while, then selecting another one and taking lot of time, thus delaying the game), another thing is NOT selecting/moving any player at all. That could mean real AFK opponent.

I am a fast player. Like, I rarely take more than 1.30.
But if I need to think I think at the start of the turn and likely won't move anything for a minute or so. I need to figure the turn out. When I am decided, I'll usually move fast.

I think this is the standard. Moving one player, then waiting, then moving another, then waiting, is rarely the way people play when they are thinking. It sounds very unnatural to me.

Post   Posted: May 30, 2023 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Not saying it's a natural way or that everybody plays like that. Just, some people could play like that. I played vs some people doing that and I needed to make an example to explain that one thing is not moving/selecting any player at all, another one is selecting/moving players from time to time in a turn. There could be reasons for people moving like that: for example, some people play from work and are interrupted while they play the turn (phone calls, customers etc.), hence the pauses between the players' moves.
The_Murker

Post   Posted: May 30, 2023 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Irgy wrote:

"Before anyone can use the time out button, it needs to be activated. Only needs to be activated once for the whole game, activating by either player makes it available to both."

Brilliant idea.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2023 - 03:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd just use a timer like BB2 or BB3. when your time is up, your time is up.
This way, no whiny humies.
Linnanherra

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2023 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

RDaneel wrote:
ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
RDaneel wrote:
In blood bowl maybe is too hard we can decide that in case time pill is empty you have only 10 seconds to make the turn then timeout will be automatic . But several options can be evaluated

There is already a protocol here:
You stand up any players who were prone and you end your turn.

yes it is reasonable.

First time I hear about mandatory standing up when time runs out. In Eurobowl you lose all your voluntary actions when time runs out.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2023 - 00:20
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

sometimes elves don't want to stand up
 Jump to: