47 coaches online • Server time: 19:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CoachBuck

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2024 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello Fumbblers,

Anyone know if there is a deep dive article about guard floating around anywhere? I know it is a valuable skill, but I don't think I fully grasp the nuance of how to use it correctly. Or perhaps someone is interested in giving their own opinion on how to utilize guard most effectively. The following circumstances are the ones that come to mind:

Offensive and Defensive Line Ups

Caging

Marking

Messy Scrums

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
moph

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2024 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

For caging , if you have two Guard players put them on opposing corners, to cover all free squares with guard.
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2024 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats usually wasted guard player on most teams or matchups

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2024 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The stronger a player is, the better it is for them to have Guard. Because Guards get hit first, and being stronger makes that harder to pull off. Stand Firm is also very nice for Guards, though it means they get even more, and thus take more injuries.

That's essentially all you need to know about Guard, for and against, you will hit their Guard first, and they will hit your Guard first, and so Guards are protected players, or they are bait.

And like, most teams are balanced enough, that if you can out-guard them, they can out-manoeuvre you and win anyway. This is why Orc Big Uns having MA 5 is so strong, it's so much harder to get around them with every other team, while they still have such a good base for guard spam.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2024 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

One guard is way better than none. Keep them back until you want to charge them into the mix to turn all 1d blocks into 2d blocks. This works exactly one time per half for a non-bash team, so make sure it's time to 'Blow your Guard.'

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2024 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

If you get a Guard player prone, single mark them. Double mark prone non-Guards, so they can't stand up and assist.

Also, if you lock two (prone) players, put a Guard player to base both, while each gets individually based by another non-Guard player.

Code:
- - X X - -
- O G - O -

Last edited by JackassRampant on %b %26, %2024 - %16:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2024 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
One guard is way better than none. Keep them back until you want to charge them into the mix to turn all 1d blocks into 2d blocks. This works exactly one time per half for a non-bash team, so make sure it's time to 'Blow your Guard.'
You can get a second bite at the apple if your assisted blocks clear the enemy off your Guard, or if you leave the enemy prone, unable to blitz the Guard at 2d, and in the way of anyone who could. Bonus if you can also hit anyone they leave marking the Guard player before repositioning the Guard to safety or to another melee. But unless you can literally Guard-lock your opponent out of any good blocks (usually the province of bash teams), don't leave Guard in contact with standing players at end of turn.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2024 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Reference the OP

The Art of Blocking
https://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/The-Art-Of-Blocking.pdf
(not super Guard specific)

Thousand Losses Playbook
https://fumbbl.com/help:Thousand+Losses+Playbook
(gold buried in a mountain of words. Skip the initial numbers bit unless it's bedtime)

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2024 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

What i think The_Murker want's to tell with these references - and what have come in to my mind as well - you have to set "Guard" in the context with blocking every time.
You can't see it as a single skill at all.
Blocking is mandatory in BB, it's the most happening action as well as Block and Guard are the most chosen skills when developing league teams or building tournament rosters.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2024 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Carabor wrote:
What i think The_Murker want's to tell with these references - and what have come in to my mind as well - you have to set "Guard" in the context with blocking every time.
You can't see it as a single skill at all.

It's definitely a "team" skill, not about doing this so much as being part of the broader formula. Not sure I'd go quite that far though: it's a single skill on a single player, it's just that its application is a bit off of "see a thing, do a thing."

Quote:
Blocking is mandatory in BB, it's the most happening action

wellakshually, that's move. You will take a goodly number more moves than blocks almost always, even as the blockiest coach with the bashiest team. But you're still right in the big picture: it's a major element of the game.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2024 - 08:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, of course. But normal move actions usually doesn't require the dice at all.
There are also some teams and strategies which will do more dodging than blocking.
Exceptions prove the rule, but blocking is your salt in the Blood Bowl soup.
And the dice. And Nuffle. And maybe Guard. *lol*
CoachBuck

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2024 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for all the responses! A lot of good things to think about. I've found that watching some guard heavy teams replays and trial and error is helping. Also 1000 Losses is such a great resources.
 Jump to: