46 coaches online • Server time: 12:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2012 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

What is the goal of all this?

Here is a series of blogs (NO, forum posts so people can comment and I can necro later) taking a look at goals people may have for their time on FUMBBL. Mostly me, obviously.

But the recent blog topics revolving around people poaching new teams and new players at low TV in Blackbox had me first question “What are FUMBBL’s goals?” There are a lot of possibilities of course, be they noble, good spirited, charitable, or perhaps they have been left unconsidered. Only one man really could know for sure.

One thing I’m starting to suspect is that FUMBBL’s main purpose might just be to get as many people playing the current rule-set HERE as possible. To be THE biggest place people play. Perhaps even in hopes that people play less elsewhere. Perhaps to say it’s the BIGGEST league. Or to say players here are the BEST in the world.

And if the goal, consciously or not, is to be the biggest or best, than the rule-set will NEVER be other than the current official rule set. Because there is no point having the best players at a game no one else plays. You can’t be the biggest if you’re the only one. You’re the smallest too. And the worst.

Being the biggest site (or even a large site) would have certain things become available, intentionally or not. Data, for one. Data on the rule-set, including the most dominant teams, players, weaknesses on rosters, tactics, etc. etc. The data being collected here about the game of BloodBowl is staggering. Again, not much point to collecting data for CHOOBAH-CHOOBAH, if only a few dozen people play it. And to some people, one small modification to the ruleset would turn BloodBowl into CHOOBAH-CHOOBAH.

Having the best players makes it an ideal training ground to try out new strategies for real life Blood Bowl tournaments and leagues. To see how your new strategy might fare long-term. Again, not a lot of CHOOB tournaments advertised out there.
Size and popularity would lead to several other things as well, too many to list. Or for someone else to add. Perhaps there is an obvious one I’m missing.

IF however, the goal were to make available a great place to play the most enjoyable version of a Blood Bowl TYPE game that fantasy football lovers could come up with.. I dunno. I think this group would be the best suited by far to tweek an original game we all love. And with one supreme commander who controls all aspects (rightly so) it could be a reality, with some careful tinkering.

But tinkering could risk popularity, both internal and abroad. And might not be the point of it all anyway. Food for thought.

Thoughts?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2012 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Intentionally moving away from the official accepted rules will kill the player base, future and present.

Tinkering is death. Chelski has taught us that.

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2012 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I admire your desire to create debate over this, but it's not 'OUR FUMBBL GOALS' it's 'CHRISTER'S FUMBBL GOALS'

It's his yard we all play in, and endless debate over how evil blackbox is, how despicable minmaxers are and how awful clawPOMB is will not change a thing.

purplechest wrote:
My goal is to game in a way that makes me happy, and to try not to even imply, let alone state, that anyone else's choices of how to game are in any way lesser than mine

This is in his profile. When I visit his profile, besides thinking 'what a handsome english gentleman you are purp' this really sums it up here for me. And I think that Christer probably shares this view, otherwise he would have made adjustments by now. Christer's been involved in BB long enough to know that rules come and go. These will be changed at some point, of that I'm sure.

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2012 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Good point Calcium. And you pulled out a PC quote that could easily sum up my own thoughts, before I have really thought them all out for myself. But in PART ONE, I wanted to generate DISCUSSION about the site. Debate might imply trying to sound like one knew the answer. And no one really does. Well.. perhaps one. Perhaps not.

But IF people could wrap their brains around the fact that the site might NEVER change certain aspects, they might lighten up about a few things in the forum, and maybe focus more on the things that could change. If we all learn something about the site in the process, or our own thoughts towards the site, all the better.

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2012 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

We can't change the rules ourselves. The best we can probably do is learn them ourselves, so when Blood Bowl players are called upon to write the next edition, we don't find a bunch of idiots doing so (*cough*BBRC*cough*).
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2012 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

oh and don't let blader4411 write them or there will be a Pony team Wink
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2012 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Um, but people seem to forget that this site already IS choobah-choobah because of the incomplete client & TV matching. Who plays like that in rl/TT? It's a really good choobah-choobah site, mind, I like it a lot; but personally, I'd prefer if the site just moved closer to Blood Bowl...

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2012 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Have fun!

and eat forum pie!!!

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2012 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx go play ranked or league
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2012 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I mostly play Ranked, it's still true there, and the client is incomplete in all divisions...

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2012 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a difficult thread to respond to. Most of this has been hashed and rehashed.

I like keeping the rules the way they are - I don't like clawpomb all that much, but it does force me to find new ways to deal with problems, rather than get upset about them and try to change them.
blader4411

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2012 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
oh and don't let blader4411 write them or there will be a Pony team Wink

Only if I had executive control! Otherwise I'd be willing to compromise.

Isn't it time we added Unicorns to Wood Elves?
And Pegasi to a rehashed Bretonnian roster? Laughing

Besides, we can always have a full Pony team in Stunty Razz
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2012 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

CHOOBAH-CHOOBAH?

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2012 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Um, but people seem to forget that this site already IS choobah-choobah

You sir, are an ungrateful twonk. Next.

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2012 - 02:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, you're probably right, I did say how terrible the site was... Oh no, wait, just the opposite. I stated a fact: FUMBBL is not Blood Bowl. Despite how people talk on here, and reasonably enough because they probably mostly/only play on here, it's just not. It doesn't (quite) have all the skills, & TV matching does not appear in the Blood Bowl rules but is used in both of the most popular divisions. So it's using house rules. Which is fine, there's nothing wrong with house rules, they add welcome variety; I'm a big fan of the Stunty Leeg for example. I just think a lot of you have a very FUMBBL-centric mindset, but it still is not the only and official home of Blood Bowl; it's just a very handy, well-crafted, enjoyable and welcome way to play a version of Blood Bowl when you can't get a TT game. I hope that clears up the ungrateful part at least. I am still a twonk though.
 Jump to: