40 coaches online • Server time: 10:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, guys.

Here is a strange request for feedback from ALL of you, especially from anyone who has been on FUMBBL long enough to feel like I might kind of ‘know’ you a bit, after playing in your leagues, (DLE2 & DLE) hearing your voice on the podcast (Throweck, PurpleChest, Christer, ArrestedDevelopment), or generally just understanding your vibe after reading your posts on the FORUM for 10 years. (MrTT, Pythrr, Malmir, etc. Etc)

A pilot friend from Saudi was given a gift last year that exceeded the Xmas budget between a certain circle of friends over there. (I was never part of the circle in question) This year is apparently payback, and my friend is going to overspend in an extreme fashion, for the lols? or whatever.. it is not a circle I really understand. He is pretty sure whatever gift he buys will likely be passed on to the offending party’s 14 or 15 year old son, so no real harm can come from this, as I see it.

Keeping the 15 year old in mind, but also possibly the 40 year old (Brit) in mind, he has asked my opinion on 3 questions:

A) What epic computer do you wish you could have?
B) What epic bicycle do you wish you could have?
C) What item or gadget (comparable in usefulness, or whatever, to a bike/computer) do you wish you could have?

These are my paraphrasing of his questions, (use of the word epic) and he did not give a price limit. I don’t know bikes OR computers, but I would like to answer him in a useful way, so I can remain part of the e-mail chain.

Could you guys please answer these questions for me, thinking as yourself? I’m assuming AT LEAST $4000 US, and less than $10’000 US, but if something is a bit more and fits the bill, please include it.

I’m not asking for you to do research, just let me know what you would pick if you know where you would go to look/shop with a large gift card, if it’s not too much trouble.

Thanks in advance for any help. I hope the thread can be sort of fun.. I don’t have money like this, and times all over are tough, but I will look around for a super gadget I think might work, if for no other reason than to pretend I’m shopping for a 15 year old I don’t know. Hopefully he’s a good kid. There is a good chance he misses his dad most of the year.

_M

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Bike? There are a few cyclists on here who hang out on the Off Topic Discord Channel and I bought myself a brand new S-Works Tarmac SL6 last April. The new model (the SL7) came out recently.

I live in Dubai and prices are inflated here but I paid the equivalent of US$11,700 for it. A bit more than your budget, but I am taking Dubai inflation into account (coz we all sit on piles of gold, soaked in oil and the blood of the infidels! Laughing Laughing )

https://www.specialized.com/au/en/tarmac-sl7-expert---ultegra-di2/p/175295?color=290854-175295&searchText=94920-3044
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool!

Wait.. thing has no pedals! Does a lazer-beam bike like that have to be custom fitted, or can any adult buy online and ride?

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
Cool!

Wait.. thing has no pedals! Does a lazer-beam bike like that have to be custom fitted, or can any adult buy online and ride?

Pedals are a personal choice based on your cycling shoes... if you're already a cyclist and have a bike you're upgrading, then you transfer your pedals across (different brands have different cleat systems).

If its your first bike, then pedals are extra...

And yes, any bike store will make sure the bike is adjusted for your height and reach. You then ride it and come back a few weeks later and have that fitting tweaked based on where you hurt lol lol.
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:
Hi, guys.

Here is a strange request for feedback from ALL of you, especially from anyone who has been on FUMBBL long enough to feel like I might kind of ‘know’ you a bit, after playing in your leagues, (DLE2 & DLE) hearing your voice on the podcast (Throweck, PurpleChest, Christer, ArrestedDevelopment), or generally just understanding your vibe after reading your posts on the FORUM for 10 years. (MrTT, Pythrr, Malmir, etc. Etc)

A pilot friend from Saudi was given a gift last year that exceeded the Xmas budget between a certain circle of friends over there. (I was never part of the circle in question) This year is apparently payback, and my friend is going to overspend in an extreme fashion, for the lols? or whatever.. it is not a circle I really understand. He is pretty sure whatever gift he buys will likely be passed on to the offending party’s 14 or 15 year old son, so no real harm can come from this, as I see it.

Keeping the 15 year old in mind, but also possibly the 40 year old (Brit) in mind, he has asked my opinion on 3 questions:

A) What epic computer do you wish you could have?
B) What epic bicycle do you wish you could have?
C) What item or gadget (comparable in usefulness, or whatever, to a bike/computer) do you wish you could have?

These are my paraphrasing of his questions, (use of the word epic) and he did not give a price limit. I don’t know bikes OR computers, but I would like to answer him in a useful way, so I can remain part of the e-mail chain.

Could you guys please answer these questions for me, thinking as yourself? I’m assuming AT LEAST $4000 US, and less than $10’000 US, but if something is a bit more and fits the bill, please include it.

I’m not asking for you to do research, just let me know what you would pick if you know where you would go to look/shop with a large gift card, if it’s not too much trouble.

Thanks in advance for any help. I hope the thread can be sort of fun.. I don’t have money like this, and times all over are tough, but I will look around for a super gadget I think might work, if for no other reason than to pretend I’m shopping for a 15 year old I don’t know. Hopefully he’s a good kid. There is a good chance he misses his dad most of the year.

_M

How about he makes an EPIC large donation to a worthy charity and wraps the receipt nicely as a funny joke?

Oscar Wilde
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering about a drone. This is about as high end "pro-sumer" I could find, but the different kit options baffles me.

https://store.dji.com/ca/product/inspire-2?from=buy_now_bar&site=brandsite&vid=96921

I'm sure the massive size and awkwardness of it would score points in the 'joke' aspect of the purchase.

Drone feedback? Computer ideas, anyone?

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

A dune buggy. They're about that price and having lived out that way as a kid that's what I've have wanted.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2020 - 20:59
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I'm afraid i have little to offer except a bump for your thread. The worlds of computing and cycling are unknown to me.

Gadgets I'd want if money was no object? A jetpack. But they come in at $150,000

Flyboards though come at aroud $2000, and the new sit on type flying over water gadget they do around $10,000.

https://aquaticaviation.net/store/

I lived in Saudi as a child, and I am pretty sure these would not be appropriate there, due to a lack of large bodies of water.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2020 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I know nothing about material things, sorry.

Post   Posted: Dec 01, 2020 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not your man either - borderline technophobe
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2020 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

That cross between a SUP paddle board and a jet ski looks amusing!

I assume a kick-ass computer is more than just a few red glowing lights and a solid-state hard drive.

Why is it the more one knows about Blood Bowl the less they know about computers?
Or is it that, with a total lack of computer know-how, one must specialize in old java-based games?

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2020 - 04:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like a windows surface pro.

I had a very reasonable priced Haro BMX, but it was stolen. I really liked it though.

I wanna learn to surf this summer, so a board. I know a local producer who's sister I used to work with, so a nice bespoke one from him would be ideal.

A nintendo switch.

A nice automatic watch.